Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Richmond & White Rose Sportives

Despite the quiet blog (hope the foots doing OK Peter !), and the discouraging weather, there is some bike riding going on.
Jubilee week-end saw me at Richmond for the tough '5 Dales' 100 miler, however due to road repairs after Tan Hill on the Keld to Nateby section we 'enjoyed' The Buttertubs route over to Hawes instead (then Fleet Moss and Park Rash). This did cut the distance down to 86 miles but far from being easier it was just faster. The improving Mr. Doherty joined Roger Palfreeman and myself to get it 'cracked off' in efficient style, unfortunately the Harrogate Nova trio were a bit more efficient and came in 4 minutes quicker. We managed 4 hours 35 mins. 19 mph average.
Last Sunday was the White Rose Classic resurrected by Ilkley CC. It proved very popular with a full field of over 1000 riders over 3 distances. A change from the original 110 mile route missed Malham and took us to Settle and over Attermire to Airton. Then down Wharfedale but still with the sting of Langbar to finish us off. ( I remember one year Nige had so much power still left at Langbar that he bent his rear wheel !)
Sundays posse consisted Robin, Dwarty, 'Bin man Thompson' and myself. The early miles had a bit of niggling headwind and after being passed by the fast boys at Fleet Moss we knew we weren't going to be top of the table today.
As we left Hawes to start the drag to Garsdale Head Dwarty's rear tyre blew out with some style. He confessed to spotting a lump on it earlier and thinking this could be terminal Robin and myself adopted the Pete Horne strategy of 'pottering on' - in any case we could only manage a potter over the Coal Road and up Dentdale. We were moving better down Ribblesdale but not as well as the VS duo who caught us at the bottom of the climb up Attermire.     
It was a tough run in via Thorpe and Burnsall but by Langbar Dwarty's legs enjoyed a miraculous recovery which he used to distance us all as he struck out for the finish being chased by Robin and me but leaving his team mate. We may not have caught him but were helped by the appearance of a  timing point before Ilkley that Dwarty nearly missed.
We came in with 6 hours 39 mins. Top ten places but this time some 30 mins behind the fastest Harrogate Nova guys.
Its the Otley races tonight so I may see some familiar faces amongst the beers and bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment